Friday, February 8, 2013

Emerald City’s Berrier bound for Kansas City in NWSL; Seattle and Portland pick final players

Berrier helped ECFC limit Spokane to one goal total in their two meetings | Photos: Gerald Barnhart

After finishing as the all-time games played leader at Loyola University (Chicago) in 2009, Casey Berrier looked bound for a career off the field over a year ago, but a stint with Emerald City as a youth coach and WPSL player started a journey that led to her being selected by FC Kansas City of the new professional National Women’s Soccer League in the Supplemental Draft.

“Emerald City got me back in to the swing of things last summer,” said Berrier of her stint at ECFC. “I was working full-time before I finally decided I missed playing too much to not go and give it one last push to see where I could land.

“Emerald City was that first step.  Each training session I got to play with some of the best homegrown Seattle talent, plus others from around the country.  The coaching staff was also very invested and did whatever they could to help us as players succeed on and off the field.  ECFC gave me that chance to get back into the game competitively, build on my confidence, and reaffirm my feelings that on the soccer field was where I wanted and needed to be.”

The defender, sometimes midfielder, led Emerald City as captain last summer in the competitive Northwest Division she took a three-month trip abroad to play in the Finnish first division with UEFA Champions League side PK-35 Vantaa.

Her return, and hope of making the jump to the next level, was no guarantee and provided for an anxious morning as she watched name after name go by in the six-round event that concluded the league’s roster-building process. The lone player selected out of the Northwest Division, she is now in the history and fact books – the last player selected in the inaugural year of the NWSL.

“Yesterday was definitely a roller coaster of emotions for me.  By the end of those two hours in front of Twitter I felt like I had played two full 90-minute matches.  I was the last name called but I could not have been more excited.

“I tried to go into the day not expecting anything, but that's always much easier said than done.  I had just sent a text that said "not my day" when I saw my name pop up.  It was a little surreal. I already can't wait to get started and I am looking forward to taking advantage of this great opportunity I have been given by FC Kansas City.”

To say Berrier, who is no stranger to the Paris of the Plains, is a little excited and looking forward to what comes next would be an understatement.

“Have you seen the roster? How could I not look forward to training and playing with some of the absolute best in the world.  I'm excited to grow as a player and learn from the new faces I'll be surrounded by each day.

“I also look forward to returning to a city I know fairly well.  I'm from St. Louis and my dad's family all lives in Kansas City.  I worked for the NSCAA and lived in Kansas City for 13 months so I feel very comfortable and at home in KC.  Most importantly, I'm well aware of the strong soccer culture KC has developed with Sporting - which could give Seattle a run for its money - and I'm looking forward to experiencing that on the women's side.”

Berrier, who scored twice last summer, will be a big loss for Emerald City as she led the team to a strong defensive performance on the year, finishing tied for second in the division in shutouts with four. Head coach Niki Taylor, however, was simply full of pride for their departing captain.

"We are so proud of Casey and all the hard work she's put into her goal of playing professional soccer in the US,” said Taylor.

“Our mission at Emerald City WPSL is to develop and prepare players looking to play at the next level and we are happy to be a part of her journey.  We wish Casey the best of luck in Kansas City and know she'll represent the Emerald City well."

FC Kansas City Current Player Pool – G: Nicole Barnhart, Bianca Henninger; D: Becky Sauerbrunn, Lauren Sesselmann, Nia Williams, Leigh Ann Robinson, Casey Berrier; M: Whitney Berry, Jen Buczkowski, Desiree Scott, Kristen Mewis, Erika Tymrak, Tina DiMartino, Sinead Farrelly; F: Courtney Jones, Melissa Henderson, Lauren Cheney, Merritt Mathias, Marylin Diaz, Renae Cuellar, Casey Nogueira

AROUND THE NORTHWEST

The Seattle Reign and Portland Thorns also wrapped up the roster-building process, though it is expected Seattle has a trade in the works. Seattle selected six players Thursday while Portland chose to pass with the league’s final pick in the draft.

Here is a look at the current player pools for both teams, though no rosters around the league are official as some players have not signed as of yet.

Seattle Reign – G: Michelle Betos, Haley Kopmeyer, Hope Solo; D: Lauren Barnes, Kate Deines, Kaley Fountain, Nikki Krzysik, Elli Reed, Emily Zurrer; M: Jessica Fishlock, Kaylyn Kyle, Kristen Meier, Christine Nairn, Teresa Noyola, Megan Rapinoe, Jenny Ruiz, Mallory Schaffer; F: Liz Bogus, Tiffany Cameron, Laura Heyboer, Lindsay Taylor

Portland Thorns – G: Karina LeBlanc, Roxanne Barker; D: Rachel Buehler, Marian Dalmy, Tina Ellertson, Nikki Marshall, Luz Saucedo, Kathryn Williamson, Marlene Sandoval; M: Tobin Heath, Allie Long, Angie Kerr, Amber Brooks, Becky Edwards, Nicolette Radovcic, Nikki Washington; F: Alex Morgan, Christine Sinclair, Jessica Shufelt, Michele Weissenhofer

#INWsoccernews