Monday, March 18, 2013

Whitworth University, Spokane Shadow director Sean Bushey takes position with Colorado Rush

Bushey has been the head coach for Whitworth University since 1996 | Photos: Gerald Barnhart

After nearly two decades as a fixture in the Spokane soccer community, Whitworth University head coach and Spokane Shadow youth soccer club technical director Sean Bushey announced Wednesday that he was stepping down from both organizations to take a position with the Colorado Rush, one of the nation's top youth soccer clubs.

Taking the Senior Academy Director of Coaching position at the Rush will reunite Bushey with his brother Erik, the club's technical director, as well as his son Cameron, the Youth Boys DOC. The university announced it will conduct a search for a new coach. The SSC Shadow have appointed Abbas Faridnia, a former Shadow PDL player under Bushey, the new Technical Director, expanding his role with the club nearly a year after the merger with his SSC Elite occurred.

"Losing Sean in our soccer community will be tough," said Jim Martinson, a coach with the Shadow and the head coach of the CC Spokane women's soccer team. "He has been so instrumental in building the Spokane Shadow to be one of the top clubs in the state of Washington. His dedication to this game and the kids that play, it can't be matched. He is a professional in his leadership, coaching and education and he will missed.

"Whitworth University will definitely have a tough job ahead of them to find a replacement. The Colorado Rush will gain one the finest coaches I've had the pleasure to work with," added Martinson, who played under Bushey with the PDL Shadow and has gone on to see his own children play for him with the youth club. "I wish Sean and his family the very best. On a side note; I'm sad for my kids. They love Sean and his family."

With a plentitude of coaches and Faridnia taking over at the Shadow, club coach and Spokane Soccer Academy owner Kevin Moon said, "He leaves the club in good shape. Things will be fine save for the loss of a great person who's sole motivation was to make Spokane soccer better for kids. I will miss my friend."

At Whitworth, however, the loss will certainly be more prominent as Bushey has been a staple at the school since 1996 when he joined the Pirates after a year on the other side of the state with Evergreen State College. Bushey quickly made an impression and became the Shadow PDL coach in 1997. The next three years were a busy time for the Belhaven College (Miss.) product as he coached both Whitworth soccer teams, along with the Shadow, and also coached the school's tennis programs.

Aaron Grubb was a player that grew to know Bushey well during that three-year span.

"I have had the opportunity to play for coach in three different aspects which began twenty years ago this year," he said. "I played for coach for the ’77 boys Washington East ODP in 1993. Years later I played for him in the summer of 1997 for the Spokane Shadow PDL followed by two years at then Whitworth College in 1997 and 1998.

"I owe coach for seeing something in me as youth player and believing in me as a collegiate and PDL player. Coach has had a lasting impression on me even after my playing days. As a current soccer coach I still utilize many of his exercises I once participated in as a player," said Grubb, who owns AG3 Soccer Academy in Portland, Ore. "His dedication and professionalism to the sport is above and beyond.

"Coach Bushey has always been welcoming whether at the spring alumni game or an occasional drop in at his office in Graves gym. He lets me know when his teams are playing near my home (in Portland) and always welcomed me with great enthusiasm following the matches. He has been a stabilizing force synonymous with Spokane and Whitworth, but equally important for me is that he has provided a sense of comfort knowing that he is always available. Thanks for all that you do without even always knowing. Good luck with your next adventure coach.

"As I began to think of what coach Bushey has meant to my soccer life and write a few words down in reflection, the words selfishly felt a little like an obituary. I then realized that he will provide his new community and club the same passion, stability, professionalism and affection he has been known for while in Spokane and with Whitworth."

This past fall Bushey led the Pirates to their seventh Northwest Conference title in the past nine years and eighth of his tenure over the men's program, which will conclude with a record of 209-86-35, including a 9-6-2 mark in the NCAA Division III tournament. In his dozen seasons he was just as successful with a record of 123-90-16 when he stepped down in 2008 after getting the program to the NCAA tournament for the first time in 2007.

One of the key players in his final tournament appearance with Whitworth was junior midfielder Andrew French, who finished as the third-leading scorer after playing in 18 of the team's 19 matches.

"His departure was definitely unforeseen, but I think the team understands and are comfortable with his reasons for doing so," said French. "He has given so much of himself to the program and has created an atmosphere that is unlike any that I have witnessed or been a part of, and I will always be grateful for the experiences I’ve had playing for him.

"Personally, I will miss coach Bushey very much. He has helped me to grow both as an athlete and as a person. I know the same can be said for everyone who’s ever played under him.  He forces us to look at the big picture.  Perhaps this idea is best embodied in the way he views team sport as a microcosm of life.  The attitude that he demands off the pitch is the same as he demands on.  Over the course of my three years here I can say that the level of commitment and the work rate coach expects has, and will continue to have a lasting effect on me, and has transcended the realm of sport as I have noticed their affects in my everyday life.

"As for next year, I have nothing but confidence.  Coach Bushey can never be replaced, but we as a team can take everything he has imparted to us and keep the program moving in the right direction.   It will be challenging, no doubt, but all three returning classes have a lot to offer, and I have faith in our ability to regroup and make the most out of next season.

Abbas Faridnia assumes expanded role
Though Bushey departed Thursday for a week-long coaching tour in Italy, he will remain in Spokane through May before making his official departure for Colorado.

"Sean is a true ambassador for the sport and we appreciate his passionate commitment to building a quality, premier youth soccer program in Spokane. During his tenure he has built a tremendous organization of talent and elevated SSC Shadow to one of the top six clubs in the state," said SSC Shadow Board President Wayne Butler in the club statement.

"Abbas has lent his expertise, tireless enthusiasm and has been a key component to our success," he said of Faridnia assuming the new role. "With Abbas’ leadership and our talented coaching depth, we’re excited and confident about the future of our club."

#INWsoccernews